Job Description: Front Desk Host
About the Grayhaven
The Grayhaven is a 17 room motel in Ithaca, a small city in the beautiful Finger Lakes region of New York State. We are an independent, family-owned and run business.
Hos·pi·tal·i·ty /ˌhäspəˈtalədē/ noun
- The friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers.
The front desk job position is for someone that enjoys interacting with people and creating a great guest experience. A cross between a front desk agent and facilities coordinator, as the Grayhaven’s consummate host you will be checking-in guests, recommending itineraries of things to do, and helping to tend to other issues and property maintenance tasks when they arise. You’ll be working side-by-side with our current small-family / crew. As a mom-and-pop operation, we require a partner willing and able to roll up their sleeves, equal parts teammate & team leader. Must be able to transition from computer, to a guest, to a toilet plunger, and back to computer, all without batting an eye.
Job duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Greet guests as they arrive
- Handle the check-in and check/out process
- Monitor and respond to online booking requests and manage booking calendar
- Take reservations by phone
- Ensure tidiness of general area: office, guest lounge, breakfast area, half bathroom
- Interact with guests and make recommendations for things to do in and around Ithaca
- Assist with Main House programs such as morning breakfast and evening happy hour
- Assist with group bookings such as wine tours, yoga retreats and weddings
- Communicate with housekeeping staff and help them with problems as they arise
- Help conduct room inspections to ensure cleanliness
- Assist in marketing activities such as email campaigns, PR, contact management, and package creation
- Serve drinks and sell retail items such as s’mores, fire kits and t-shirts
- Enter retail sales into the system
- Perform or assist with minor ground maintenance duties.
- Ensure a quiet, serene, safe environment for our guests and deal with issues or emergencies if and when they arise
- Take out trash, recycling, compost
- Wash and fold sheets and towels as needed
- Be an ambassador for the Grayhaven
- Assist the company with other tasks as needed
Knowledge, abilities, skill sets and requirements
- Kind and generous of spirit
- Excellent customer service skills and a helpful attitude toward guests
- Prior customer service and/or hotel experience a plus
- Basic computer literacy to run credit cards and make online bookings
- Motivated self starter
- Adhere to and be aware of any rules regarding health and safety
- Willingness to ‘get your hands dirty’ taking out trash, running dishes, using a cart to transport items to rooms.
- Ability to lift, push and/or pull up to and including 60 pounds
- Position appropriate professional attire
- Punctuality and reliability
- Love for dogs (and people)
- Know how to build a bonfire, and have a good time
- Must have consistent access to transportation to arrive at the Grayhaven, 657 Elmira Rd Ithaca, NY 14850
- Grayhaven Motel is a living wage certified employer
- Hourly wage starts at $16 per hour.
- Vacation hours accrue at a rate of 40 hours of paid time off (equivalent to one full-time work week) based on 40 hour work weeks for 52 pay periods per year. May accrue more / less depending on actual hours worked.
- IRA contribution available with minimum hours met.