Happy Holidays, Motel Lovers!
In addition to the greenery, holiday lighting and beautifully decorated trees here at the motel, there’s a LOT happening in the area and we’re really feeling the festive spirit.
Start the season with vintage holiday charm, enjoy overnight accommodations in one of our iconic mid-century motels rooms and let our amazing team take care of you.
If you live in the area we hope you’ll stop by to say hello, kick off the holidays and take in the festive décor at our sweet vintage motel. Please read on for all of the festive happenings.
Holiday Photo Portrait Session
Sign up for a fun Holiday photo on our festive pine porch with Simply Alexis Photography. Bring your kids, your pets, don ye now your gay apparel, and make a memory. Think Sears portrait, awkward family photo! Saturday December 2nd. Signup here!
Holiday Movies in the Lounge
On Fridays (11/24, 12/8, 12/15, 12/22) at 6pm, join us for holiday themed movie night in our cozy, decked out lounge. Kick off your winter weekends with family and friends and our warm fireplace. Drinks and snacks available for purchase at the office.
New Years Eve!
Ring in the New Year with sparklers around the fire pit and friends new and old. Enjoy the bottle of bubbly, charcuterie kit, sparkling water, and s’mores waiting for you in your room!
Book our New Years Eve Package here.
Upcoming Events at + Near the Grayhaven Motel
December 1st join us in our lounge for First Friday Gallery Night. This month features photography by Gwen Bullock. 4-8pm in our gallery lounge!
December 6th Scott Bradlee’s Postmodern Jukebox Everything New is Old Again tour comes to the State Theatre, dressing in vintage attire is encouraged. Take advantage of our Midweek Traveller package and see the show!
Join us December 10th and 16th for a variety of weekend Holiday Markets! Read on for more information and weekend itineraries.
Saturday, December 16th is the Grayhaven Christmas Pageant with Wooden Lung – Celebrate the absurd side of the Holidays with a performance from Wooden Lung (Johnny Dowd, Mike Cook, Bobby Frisk). Vinyl spinning between sets by DJ Peaz on Earth and MC Mercy Mild.
Friday December 22nd attend Plants and the Winter Solstice at the Cornell Botanic Gardens. As the sun reaches its lowest arc in our sky, signaling the longest night (and shortest daytime) of the year, enjoy a special tour of the Mullestein Winter Garden.
Plan ahead for THE GREAT NORTH AMERICAN TOTAL ECLIPSE!!! On Monday, April 8, 2024, a total solar eclipse will cross North America. Book the eclipse package at Grayhaven Motel and see 100% totality here in the Finger Lakes. Read more about our eclipse package here.
Upcoming Events at + Near the Grayhaven Motel
Here are our recommended December itineraries:
December 1st thru 3rd:
- FRIDAY: Check in and enjoy the first Friday opening reception in our guest lounge from 4-8pm. Head to the Ithaca Ice and Lights Festival where you can enjoy the ice bar, ice carving, silent disco and BEYOND light art from 6-9pm.
- SATURDAY: Start the day with fortifying coffee, tea and a light breakfast in Grayhaven’s office. Have holiday photos made at our fun festive retro decorated motel, then off to the 13th Annual Chowder Cook-off on the Ithaca Commons from 12-4pm. Stroll the downtown Ithaca Commons a bit longer to vote on the best holiday window and dine at one of our great restaurants.
- SUNDAY: Have brunch at South Hill Cider before you get your shopping fix on at the Factory Holiday Art Market at South Hill Business Campus from 11am to 4pm. Here’s your chance to pick up one of Alice Mulhback’s iconic Calendars for the new year, or tons of other handmade goodies and gifts!
December 7th thru 11th:
- THURSDAY: Check in, enjoy dinner at the Rook, then head to see Peter + The Wolf at Cherry Art Space.
- FRIDAY: Enjoy a delightful dinner at the Asia Cuisine before heading to the State Theatre for A Celtic Christmas an unforgettable night of storytelling, Irish charm and spectacular entertainment.
- SATURDAY: An action packed day awaits as Santa Claus repels down Center Ithaca to ring in the Holidays, followed by the music and dance. Explore downtown shopping and dining before heading to Ford Hall at Ithaca College for the Ithaca Concert Band’s Holiday Concert. Free and open to the public.
- SUNDAY: Enjoy complimentary coffee and a light breakfast at Grayhaven before you head out to the Little Red Wagon Artisan Market and then Lime Hollow Holiday Market to peruse handmade wares by local makers.
December 15th thru 17th:
- FRIDAY: Check in and head to the famous Moosewood for a bite before taking in a performance of the Nutcracker by Ithaca Ballet at 7:30pm.
- SATURDAY: It’s time for the one of a kind Rutabaga Curl to end the season at the Ithaca Farmer’s Market. Sign up to roll between 10 and 1130am. Fresh from the Winter Artisan Market in Press Bay, take in the splendor of the Grayhaven Christmas Pageant featuring Wooden Lung, a slideshow and DJ Peaz on Earth spinning vinyl.
- SUNDAY: Road trip!! Head down historic Route 34 to Auburn for some food in the neon glow of the railroad car at the Auburn Diner. Check out the Quilts=Art=Quilts show at the Schweinfurth Arts Center before singing Carols and taking selfies with Father Christmas at the annual Dickens Christmas in nearby Skaneateles.
- MONDAY: Grab your fix of complimentary Maquina Coffee + a light breakfast in the office during coffee hours (8-10:30 every morning) before you check out at 11am.
December 22nd thru 24th:
- FRIDAY: Plants and the Winter Solstice at the Cornell Botanic Gardens. As the sun reaches its lowest arc in our sky, signaling the longest night (and shortest daytime) of the year, enjoy a special tour of the Mullestein Winter Garden. After dinner, close the night out with a holiday movie in our guest lounge.
- SATURDAY: Book ahead to visit the Harriet Tubman Home, followed by Quilts=Art=Quilts, an international juried quilt exhibition at the Schweinfurth Art Center in Auburn, New York. The Art Center has been a longstanding proponent of quilts as a visual arts medium and has been presenting quilts in a gallery setting since 1981.
- SUNDAY: Enjoy a relaxing Christmas eve morning at Grayhaven with special holiday baked goods and a fire in our beautifully decorated guest lounge.
December 29th thru 31st:
- Book a New Years Eve package with us and come to the Finger Lakes to ring in 2024 with a weekend of winter hikes, great food and relaxation.
- Don’t forget to reserve a table in advance, some favorite recommendations: Gola Osteria, Heights Cafe, Moosewood, The Antlers, The Cellar.
- Book a day at Rasa Spa. Schedule a treatment in advance (they fill quickly!), and enjoy a relaxing day to reflect and set new intentions.