Our small (but mighty) team is looking for another person to piece into our historic motel puzzle.
Hosting 40 overnight guests per day while keeping grounds and facilities running smoothly is really hard work. It is also exciting, rewarding and a whole lot of fun.
The Housekeeper position is for someone that is passionate about creating an exceedingly clean and inviting environment for guests. Geek out on mirror polished chrome? Love the look of a perfectly made bed? Feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction when everything is clean and in its right place? If an obsessively clean space is your love language we are for you! As a Grayhaven housekeeper you will be overseeing and executing room cleanliness and organization. You’ll be working side-by-side with our small-family / amazing crew. As a mom-and-pop operation, we require a partner with a team focused mentality that is willing and able to roll up their sleeves and attend to facilities with integrity, care, and fine attention to detail. Our primary focus is creating a comfortable and welcoming space for guests, and a supportive and positive work environment for one another.
Work on an amazing property with an amazing team that will appreciate you. You get to be part of a growing small business where your ideas are welcome and encouraged. You will play an important role in preserving and sharing the historic and natural assets of an iconic mid-century property that has been hosting guests for more than 100 years (learn more). You get experience and you get to grow here, always learning new skills. You get to work with an awesome team of people that want to do good things, will have your back, and expects you to have theirs.
Things to know: Busy summer & fall hours. Every other weekend mandatory. Mellow winter months + time off to recover for the next season. 24-32 hours available.
Job duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Clean and service guest rooms and bathrooms.
- Clean and maintain areas outside of guest rooms and room entries.
- Make guest beds and put out clean linens.
- Perform a variety of cleaning activities such as sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, dusting and polishing.
- Clean dust and dirt from walls, ceilings, overhead lighting, under beds, in closets and any other various furniture and fixtures.
- Collect, empty, and properly dispose of trash and recycling from floors, guest areas, wastebaskets, and trash barrels.
- Perform or assist with minor maintenance repairs.
- Report necessary and/or recommended repairs to owners.
- Ensure all rooms are cared for and inspected according to standards
- Deal with reasonable complaints/requests with professionalism and patience
- Check stocking levels of all consumables and replenish guest amenities as needed
- Work quickly and efficiently without compromising quality.
- Help to ensure security of guest rooms and privacy of guests
- Perform seasonal cleaning duties (e.g. spring cleaning, super cleaning, winterization, etc.) as required
- Maintain the cleanliness of housekeeping staff rooms and communal work areas.
- Attends to guest requests in assigned areas.
- Responsible for achieving and exceeding guest satisfaction with regard to room cleanliness
Knowledge, abilities, skill sets and requirements
- Kind and generous of spirit
- Exhibit professionalism and a helpful attitude toward guests
- Prior housekeeping and/or hotel experience a plus
- Physical mobility and stamina required
- Ability to lift, push and/or pull up to and including 50 pounds.
- Good prioritization and time management skills
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Help to set and follow the standard housekeeping operating procedures
- Adhere to and be aware of any rules regarding health and safety
- Punctuality and reliability
- Love for dogs (and people)
- Position appropriate professional attire
- Must have consistent access to transportation to arrive at the Grayhaven, 657 Elmira Rd Ithaca, NY 14850
- Grayhaven Motel is a living wage certified employer
- Competitive hourly wage commensurate with experience
- Earned paid time off + sick pay
- Simple IRA contribution available with minimum hours met
- Health + Dental Insurance package available w/ company contribution with minimum hours met
- Massage benefit / reimbursal, with minimum hours met
- Limited free and confidential counseling services through employer sponsored EAP with Family & Children’s Services of Ithaca, with minimum hours met